Saturday, March 28, 2009

Where do you draw the line?

I BEAT into my staff everyday that our goal is not to "sell" product, but rather solve problems. Our customers come to our store with a "problem". They need a helmet, and need us to help them find the right one for their individual needs. If we get this right, we've hit a home run. But how do you handle those times when you're asked to cross the line? Let me tell you a story about a situation that popped up the other day...

We had a customer (I'll call him Mr. X) who bought a helmet online. Everything went smooth right up to the point that he wanted to make a return. Returns aren't an issue, however he explained that he had rode with the helmet, and only after this Demo ride did he find that the helmet wouldn't workout... I could re-sight our policy, but simply stated, you ride with it, it's yours. Needless to say, he wasn't happy with us, and expressed it quite clearly.

Mr. X stated that he had bought product from other companies, and they all allowed him to make a return after a short ride. He went so far as to call another well known online retailer and asked one of their customer service agents if they would take a return if it had been ridden with? No shocker here, they stated they would. By the way, they also clearly state that they would not in their return policy.

What does this all mean? First, I sell NEW product. My customers expect "NEW and UNUSED product" when they place their orders. I expect it when I buy something, and I would personally be upset if I got something that didn't appear fresh and unused. I'm paying for NEW, not SLIGHTLY, GENTLY, HARDLY, BARELY USED. If this other company takes back product like Mr. X states, then resells it, it's simply wrong. It's also wrong to allow a return if they are going to eat the product. That simply drives up the costs for EVERYONE. You know, the 99.9% that have taken the time to understand the rules.

Simply, I refuse to allow the .01% to ruin it for the other 99.9%.

I understand how it hurts to have bought something, and after a short ride, find that it won't workout like you planned. Money wasted. Because I understand this issue, I try my best to make sure through videos, evaluations and phone calls that we limit this outcome. However, there isn't a tried and true way around this. There will be occasions when something won't workout.

It's simple, do everything you can to make sure that what you bought meets your expectations WITHOUT USING IT. I tell customers here in the store, even after being fitted by me, to take it home, leave the stickers alone, open the visor, and watch TV for an hour. You can get a VERY good idea if something will work, without actually ridding with it. If it doesn't workout, you can make a return. No harm, no foul. The next person who buys that product can know deep down inside that they got a new product, not a one that's "gently used".

No comments: