Tuesday, June 10, 2008

2008, what a mess...

I've been around since the late 1990's, and I've never seen anything like 2008 when it comes to product. Or should I say, lack of product so late in the year. Nothing is more frustrating, and time consuming as try to get product that doesn't exist.

Now why this is happen appears to the great mystery of the century, and not just one company is involved. I've seen it from Bell, all the way down to HJC, AGV, Tourmaster and Cortech. How can a company advertise a 08 product in November of 07 and still not have it in June?

Some say it's the weak dollar. US companies are holding off their purchases hoping the dollar gets stronger, and thus they pay less. Others say it's nothing more than strong demand because of the high gas prices. More people are riding, more product is being sold, and less is available.

Regardless of what's going on, or the excuses behind the issue, it equals a HUGE pain for everyone involved, right down to the customers. All I can hope is that those in charge make some good choices and make things happen. If not, you'll see Dealers like myself start looking harder at product that we can actually sell. If I was a young company looking to break into the market, this looks like a gift. Let's see if they take advantage of it.

No comments: