Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Live in the South, and still wear a leather jacket?

Owning a store located on the surface of the Sun, we figure out real quick what works in the heat. Leather isn't one of them.

I've heard it a thousand times. "I really want this leather jacket, is it perforated? I don't want to get hot during my rides." I can do nothing short of chuckle out loud. I can't count how many times I've spoke with customers who have visited other stores, have been told that Cordura and leather work great in the summer, as long as they're vented. I lecture every day that you can have 50 vents on either of these jackets, and you'll still cook above 90 degrees. Simply, these two materials should be your last choice.

Leather retains heat. I've gone out on test rides, cooked, and then tossed the jacket on the couch after returning home. 30 minutes later the jacket is still warm to the touch. Leather soaks up and retains heat. It's that simple, and 100 vents or perforation isn't going to fix that.

Cordura is a tight weave cloth, and allows zero air to pass through. Yes, you can add vents, but look at the next Cordura jacket you see. Most of the time the vents are designed to keep out the wet, and use Velcro to make this happen. Often, what vents are there will close by themselves, and now you have zero ventilation. It's like pulling on a trash bag. It's also why most of the winter jackets are made out of Cordura.

Mesh jackets are the only way to go. Many have an inner rain liner that you can remove. Others have both a rain liner and the thermal liner to keep the cold at bay. Here in AZ you simply have a jacket that works year round. I've actually ridden with my mesh jacket, with the liners installed, all the way down to the high 20's. In the summer the whole jacket is a vent.

The one question I get more than any other is, "I've heard that the mesh will melt in a crash if you drag long enough." Look, if you start melting a mesh jacket, that's your last worry. You have greater issues to deal with...LOL Yes, mesh, Cordura, and even leather will grind through if you slid on one spot long enough. The jackets seams are what to focus on. The seam is what will fail first, which if happens, will expose your skin to the concrete. I've seen too many mesh jackets to count after they've been crashed. The mesh is damaged, but didn't cause injury. Simply, they are safe.

In a nutshell, if you ride in the heat you owe it to yourself to purchase a mesh jacket. You'll thank me for it later.

No comments: