Thursday, August 9, 2012

Riding really in our blood?

"Hey, work the gas..."
I have a photo, taken by my dad, of me sitting on his bike, in a diaper, with the biggest smile.  If it had an engine, two wheels and a throttle, I LOVED it from day one.

I was also a rebel, sneaking out our little Honda Trail 90, only to flat both tires before bring it home...

I've always loved riding.

My Dads stories go all the way back to the early 1940's.  Adventures born from the seat of an old Harley...  Sleeping on the side of the road, dirt roads, no Interstates.  The "Old School" approach to riding; something he insists has disappeared today.

If the love of motorcycles was genetic, I would be a good candidate for the first test.

While my "love" of riding has never wavered, my "inner need" to ride has diminished; DRASTICALLY.  I even remember past rides differently.  Gone is the energy.  They've lost their magical properties.  Stories of my 1600 mile marathon's aren't as exciting to tell.  Now I simply remember the pain, no longer the triumph over pain.

Late I've felt detached.  Have I lost my inspiration for motorcycle riding?

About 2 years ago I sold ALL my motorcycles.  While I know every rider goes through dry spells, I've owned @ least one bike (at one point 7) for as long as I could remember.  I was never without one.  As I watched my BMW LT1200 ride off, I wasn't overcome by any emotion.  I simply turned and went inside.  Deep down inside, glad it was gone.

Leading up to the Olympics I watched a story on Michael Phelps.  First, I'm aware of the differences...lol.  The part of the story that caught my attention was his change of attitude toward swimming after winning his 8 Gold Metals in Beging.  The last thing he wanted to do, was swim.  When it was time to hit the weight room, he escaped out the back door.  Often he would simply leave with friends, for weeks on end.

He'd had enough.

Not that he didn't LOVE swimming, he simply didn't "want" to swim.  Don't tell me that Phelps doesn't have the DNA of a great swimmer, but he wanted to walk away.

He'd had enough.

Of course he came back for London, trained and won some more medals.  Now, he's officially finished.  He says he'll swim again, but from now on, in the ocean...

In my case, I was simply tired of riding from point A, to point B.  Riding, for the lone purpose of simply riding, had lost it's luster.  Spending 200 miles in the saddle, just to eat a burger, now seemed NUTS.  Cooking in the summer desert, so I could ride in the pines, now looked like a complete waste of a day.

A HUGE peice of ME, was missing, and I could careless.  I told myself it was time to turn the page.  It was time to focus my energy, elsewhere.

Sitting outside one morning, in the 90 degree heat, I started day dreaming about camping.  A cool river/creek, in the cool pines.  Each summer, I have the same overwhelming thought.  The strange twist was this time my plans included a motorcycle....

My mind raced, "I could get a dual sport bike (I've never owned one before), load it with gear, and a few days a month, explore Arizona backcountry.  How cool would that be?!  I'll head up North in the summer, and escape the heat.  I'll head South in the winter...  On a bike, but without limitations, like pavement!"

The following week I bought a Suzuki V-Strom (Wee-Strom), and the rest is history.

Why the change?  I have a theory, and a conclusion...

First, the conclusion.  Motorcycling IS in your DNA.  While we all might take breaks, turn away, we can't stay away.  Oh, and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

My theory is that all to often we get into a rut with our riding.  Every now and them we need to shake things up a bit, and explore the unknown.  Combine our LOVE of riding, with our other interests.  If we can just master this endeavor, motorcycle riding will forever be a part of our lives.

Isn't that what ridings all about...

No comments: