Monday, August 27, 2012

Wave..!

Wow, I'm writing this , because....lol  Simple, it pisses me off when I raise my hand to another riders heading in the opposite direction, and they blow me off...

Is it a law that every rider MUST raise their left hand?  Lower it, palm open?  Wiggle their fingers?  Nod their head, or at least look in the general direction?  Nope, but it still PISSES me off when I waive, and don't get some sort of token reply.

After returning home from a recent weekend ride, I sat down and gave this subject some thought.  I REALLY focused during the commercials during my football games...  In my junk food induced coma, here's what I came up with.
  1. First, maybe they simply didn't see my raised hand?  If this was the case, acknowledgment wouldn't have been an option.  If they "had" seen my raised hand, they would have willingly replied.  But lets not forget, they could have initiated upon seeing my bike approach...
  2. My second thought?  These riders were simply too "good" to acknowledge another riders gesture. In that case, I got caught wasting my effort on an Ass$#@&*...
  3. Raising their left hand off the handlebars is a hazard.  I'll buy this, but if this was truly the case, I'm a bit scared for everyone else in their path...
  4. Simply anti-social.  Not an Ass%$#@*& like those in #2, but just not willing to engaged in a brief ceremony of interaction.  I feel compeled to cut this group some slack.  It's not their fault  We all know people who fit this category.
  5. Bike selectivity.  In other words, if I was on a Harley, BMW, or another bike that they deemed "wave worthy" I would have received the lowered arm, open hand acknowledgment.  I pride myself in raising my hand, to ALL bikes, even scooters...lol
I understand that I can't allow the few to influence my own actions.  Wow, that sounds so "adult".  I need to focus on the 90% who do make the effort to acknowledge, or raise the hand as I pass.  

What #2, #4 and #5 don't understand is that it's not "just" a wave.  It's about displaying mutual respect.  An acknowledgment that we're "both" members of a small club, and that we "share" a passion.

I can't bring myself to "not" raise my hand in salute, even if you're a #2.  Oh, and numbering this group as #2 wasn't by mistake...  Just keep rumbling down the road, doing what you do.  Those like me will continue to give you a wave as we pass.  Maybe someday you'll understand.

No comments: