Friday, August 17, 2012

Why "COOL GEAR" sits in the closet...

New gear comes on the market everyday.  Often it looks SUPER COOL, and we buy it, only to find it spends more time in the closet, then on our bike.  What seemed to be practical @ the time, now looks like massive pain in the butt and waste of money.

I've found that it's not always the products fault.  I've brought stuff in, played with it, only to toss it in the junk drawer.  Only months later do I discover that if I had purchased an accessory, or taken the time to install it correctly, my complaints would have been rectified.

Where were THOSE people when I plopped down the money...?

Here's some free advise, and a couple of examples.

GoPro Video Camera

Here's a product that sounds SUPER COOL.  You slap this little guy on your bike, helmet, heck, anywhere, and you're taking video.  And not just any video, but full HD video.  Want some "slow-mo", you got it.  Looking for something waterproof?  Covered.  Have a need to take 10 photos in under a second?  Yep.!

This little video camera takes awesome video, but to save it from the closet, there are a few things you need to buy...

First, GoPro makes a wifi remote that plugs into the back of the camera.  Why?  Say you have the camera mounted on your helmet.  Cool place right?  What you see, the camera will record.

You start the camera, but after about 20 minutes you decide to turn it off.  Why use all your memory on stop signs and traffic jams?  You reach up, while riding, and hunt for the "Off" button.  You feel something that you think is the off button, and you press; all the while wondering if you pressed it hard enough.

10 minutes later it's driving you nuts, so you stop, take off the helmet, turn off the camera, put the helmet back on, and head back out.  20 minutes later you enter some amazing country, something you want to record...  It starts all over again.

While the extra remote costs about $100, it takes your GoPro from a novelty item, and makes it into something handy and easy to use.  Without it, it's a pain in the butt...  With it, useful...

Cardo ScalaRider G9 Bluetooth Communication System

90% of the time your bikes engine is soothing.  You have zero need for music, a phone call, or any other type of interruption.  You're at peace with yourself, soaking in the freedom that your two wheeled buddy is providing.

But then, there is that 10%...

I've NEVER been one for communication systems, and I've used them ALL.  Most were hard to setup, harder to use on the bike, and they never worked like I'd hoped.  After only a few rides they would end up in a drawer, never to see the light of day.

Now lets fast forward to today.  The G9 is one of the easiest Bluetooth systems I've ever used.  Pairing to my iPhone (or anything else) is super easy, the buttons are easy to work on the bike, 8 other people can connect and talk, and the range is amazing.

Here's where riders make the mistake...

The G9 allows you to take off the big boom microphone and replace it with a wired version.  Important if your wearing an enclosed helmet (full-face).  Nothing can discourage you more than stuffing a boom mic inside your helmet EVERY time you put on your helmet.  Oh, and don't forget taking it off...

Why wouldn't everyone install it this way?  It appeared more complex, and permanent.  What if they wanted to remove it from there helmet?  Also, I scary high number of us fail to read the direction...  Many simply didn't know it was an option.

Advise; USE THE WIRED OPTION from the start.  Odds are, once installed, it not going anywhere.  If you use the wired microphone option, you'll discover that the G9 is amazing.  If you use the Boom, it'll turn into a HUGE PAIN in only a few rides.  The items in your JUNK drawer will have a new EXPENSIVE friend.

I use both of the above

I like taking video.  I enjoy putting together the clips into a movie.  I LOVE the idea of documenting my journeys.  I USE the REMOTE.  Mounting the camera on my helmet is my favorite location.  Without the remote, this would not be possible.

I own, and use the ScalaRider G9.  I don't make many calls (I can ever use Siri with the G9, which I have done to find something quickly), but I have received them.  I occasionally enjoy listening to the radio, or the music on my iPhone.  I've also chatted it up with riding buddies, but not as often as I'd thought.  The same goes for my wife when we take trips.  I installed the boom-less microphone on my helmet, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So in closing...

Spending the extra cash, or taking the extra time can mean the difference between something that get used, or sits in your closet.  Play it smart and go the extra step.

No comments: