Saturday, March 30, 2013

Modular - (Flip-Up) Helmets?

I get asked all the time what I "personally" think of the modular helmets on the market.  Of course I carry models from both Nolan (because I REALLY like their stuff) and Scorpion.  But, would I personally wear one?

Nope.

Now is that to say that they are terrible helmets?  Nope, just that my "riding style" doesn't match up well with the features of a flip-up helmet.  Remember, it's about finding the "right" tool for "your" job.  I have never had a need to flip up the front of my helmet, so I don't have a "need" for a flip-up helmet.

With that being said, who buys a flip-up helmet?  After speaking with 100's of riders, it really comes down to one thing, progression.

All riders walk a different, but simular path when it comes to gear.  We buy something we "think" will work, only later to re-write the list.  It's during the re-write that riders head in the direction of a flip-up helmet.  Maybe they find themselves NOT wanting to remove their helmet just to pump gas?  Or maybe they live in a climate that's cooler than Arizona (not hard) and want to keep their heads warm while they smoke a cigarette?  Ride a full-fairing bike, and have the craving of getting the chin bar out of the way when the weather is perfect?

In other words, by riding with other products, most move naturally into a flip-up helmet.  They buy one, like it, but crave additional features.  This is where Nolan, and other premium manufactures step in.

While I won't put up a fight if a new rider wants to start with a flip-up helmet, I will point out the following...
  • Flip-up helmets are heavier than the comparable full-face model.
  • They are noisier (typically).  Few have the cash to buy the only semi-quiet flip-up, the  Schuberth C3
If you can justify these two potential challenges, then go right ahead and buy a flip-up.  It might just be the perfect "tool" for your riding style.

No comments: